Students

Chats with Champions from Mr. Seng’s Class:

[These are advice from former or current students in this class who were earning A’s and ahead of pace by two weeks or more.  If you are a champion yourself, email me to hseng@flvs.net and you might see your tips on being a successful student and person here too!  If you are under 18, make sure you get permission from your parents.]

Champion

Kristina Kidwell: 

Here are some helpful tips to be successful:

1) Manage all classes so that you don’t feel overwhelmed.  

2) Pick a good amount of lessons to do a week based on what is easier for you to answer.  For example, do 3 lessons for the US Government class, and 2 for English 4 etc…

3) Take notes during your lessons – Color code and label if you like

4) Study for your tests and assignments

5) Do your best and don’t give up EVER!

Zoila Saakes: 

Take lots of notes, stay organized, and use the study guides and templates in the second panel of the announcement page where it says “Course Resources” where helpful information is organized by Module.  Also do the Enrichment Assessment 2 to fully prepare for 4.09 Final Exam!  

Iris Alexandra Fernandez Godwin:

Top 10 ways to be successful in class:

-10. Make goals; Make a few goals on what you think is important to get done for you.

-9. Ask questions; If you’re not sure about a topic, don’t give up, ask for help.

-8. Be responsible; Remember that it’s YOUR responsibility to turn in your work on time. 

-7. Don’t rush; Don’t rush through a lesson or assessment to go play games, TAKE YOUR TIME.  

-6. Manage your time; Make sure to manage your time carefully to keep yourself organized. 

-5. Be prepared;Don’t schedule a DBA and not be prepared. YOU can study and do your best to be totally ready.

-4. Know when you need a break; It’s better to take short breaks than to take none and do your work poorly. 

-3. Don’t lower your standards; Don’t lower your standards just because you find something difficult. 

-2. Keep your body healthy; Do this by getting enough sleep at night, exercising, and eating healthy. A healthy body is a healthy mind. 

-1. Learn from your mistakes; Nobody is perfect! Learn from your mistakes and you will succeed!  

Daniel Alvarez-Obregon:

Listen to your mother!

Kailani Casanova:

Do not overthink your work and use your resources such as travel journals and watching the lesson review videos from the RED HELP BUTTON.  A great way to keep track of your work is to mark your pace chart after you finish each project, to always stay focused, and to plan ahead. 

Alessio Mazzi:

On top of my list, my advice to other students would be

1. Be organized

2. Write down what you have started and completed during the week so you can foresee what you have to achieve.   It will help you set your expectations for goals.  It doesn’t matter if like the subject or not.  You have to persevere and always think positive.  Good luck!

David Campos:

If you’re working hard on a test, you might think to yourself, “I’m going to get a B!”. Now, you might think that’s good and all, but really, think to yourself, “…wait, I got a ninety, YES!” But guess what, you could’ve gotten a 100%! Don’t rush your work, take your time! I mean, it’s better to get good grades, then to be the first one to finish. I’m not saying I’m a nerd or anything, I’m just saying, I secretly want to get better grades than my sister, and can you guess what’s happening? I am! Don’t give up on your work! If your mom or dad tells you, “Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but you’re NEVER going to finish…” You tell them, “I… WILL!”  If you say that you will finish 7 assignments, then finish those 7 assignments!  Work hard, don’t give up, and get good grades!

Julianne Stultz:

Here’s my advice for my fellow classmates: No matter if you love the concept or dislike it, just do your best! Do that by printing your notes and hitting the RED HELP BUTTON. Study DBA prep guides not only for the DBA but also for Module and segment exams. Trust yourself that you can do it. Go in each day open-minded and ready to learn. Work hard today and be smarter tomorrow. If you do one thing each day to make yourself smarter, you’ll get things done. I believe in you! 🙂

Bailey Milligan :

What I do is submit one assessment Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. Then on Thursdays, I redo anything I got 60% or less on. This gives me a free day on Friday, which I can use for extra studying, projects, or makeup days. Make sure to use the study guides and take lots of notes!

Dante Halpin:

Keep trying and be confident. Look over the lesson and focus. If a mistake is made, it is OK. Learn from mistakes and move on.

Joshua Mitchell:

-I start each day with a plan. I create a list of things to do for the week like 3-4 assessments per class. Since I have five classes, that’s easy!  3-4 assessments per day is my goal. If the assessments don’t take much time, I may choose to do extra work that day. If I get ahead, that gives me more time on some of the longer assessments. Also, when I get stuck I use the online help or ask my parents. If I’m still stuck, I call the teacher for help. If I’m waiting for help on something, I move on to other assessments I can complete on my own. Also, I can work on my assessments anytime, even during the weekend. I really like this option. It’s like homework on my terms. I try to stay ahead of pace just in case something comes up like a late night Star Wars movie. Also, I schedule DBAs and tests right after I finish a chapter so I don’t forget too much. This is what I do. I hope others can pick up a few things from this note.

Halend English:

I enjoy the class and learning about the different people of the past.  I think of it as a story being told.  I write out the characters so that I can go back to study them before a test.  Sections can be like a puzzle that I get to connect the pieces too!  I’m really enjoying learning about what brought us all here.  

Robert Howell:

-I use the notes and video in the module help first.  Then when I do the lesson I take extra notes.  I use my notes to help me with tests and projects.  I try to do one lesson per class each day.   If I have time I’ll do two in a day.  I would say my notes have been the biggest help.

Paris Higashi:

-No matter how hard it is, no matter how long it takes, try your best and don’t stop trying until you know you absolutely can’t figure it out. There’s almost always an answer somewhere inside you to any question. Remember that it’s okay to not know, but it’s not okay to not try.

Austin Lennen:

-Practice good reading and taking very good notes in Travel Journals.  Taking notes helps me to retain the information.

Jared Bennett:

-I highly recommend using the help site because there are notes and videos for almost every lesson and it helps a lot.

Veronica “Nika” Mulcahy:

-If you are focused on what you are doing, you will finish your subject quickly.  You will do it well. Everything will work out.

Kaylee Greelish:

-Work hard, and if you don’t like your grade, redo it!  And don’t be afraid to ask for help!

Lillian Sparks:

1. Stay focused. Get somewhere quiet and away from distractions.

2. Take breaks! For every hour I work, I take a ten-minute break.

3. Have fun! Don’t get stressed out doing your work, it slows you down.

4. C’s do not make degrees! Do your best, you can submit your assessments more than once!

5. Never give up! When you are working on an assessment that is giving you trouble, get help. Mr. Seng is always there to help you succeed!

Hannah Williams:

-What I would like to say to the other students is that you should have a routine to do your work, and never give up even if the work is hard!  You have to get through it and study for your exams.  Mr.Seng will always be there when you have any questions.

Simone Lockhart:

-My advice to other students is…if you have something you are having difficulty understanding, relate it to something that you understand very well. I also suggest that you have a clean work-space with your notes, a pen/pencil, paper, and laptop…water is good, too! Also, take 5 – 10 minute breaks in between lessons to clear your mind and get ready for the next lesson. And work hard every day!

Stella Stollings:

-Do not give up just because you are frustrated – have perseverance.

Bhanu Mummaneni:

-Don’t take it for granted that you could do it later.  Submit now!  It is too easy to put things off again and again.  Tomorrow is not guaranteed.  There might be more obstacles tomorrow than today!  Do the assignments now!

Deondre McCante:

-Words of advice:

1.  Be organized

2.  Have a schedule/planner

3.  Stick to it

4.  Never give up

5.  Focus and take notes

6.  Use index cards and write all definitions

7.  Stay ahead of the game (Just in case you need a sick day)