Blog

July 3-8, 2023: Summer Break 2023 Trip to Georgia

We made it to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park Visitor Center. There, we were greeted by a statue installed in 1998, of Mahatma Gandhi, one of Dr. King’s role models.

With tickets in hand from the MLK visitor center, we were getting ready to tour King’s birth home at 501 Auburn Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30312. The tours are free, and conducted by the park rangers. We had to get in line by 9:40 a.m. at the MLK visitor center to make sure we could get the tickets for the day. Thanks to Julia for taking this picture.

Last time we came to Stone Mountain, it was very stormy, and Jenna did not get to climb up. I told her as soon as she was ready, we would return so she could climb. She said she was ready, so the main reason for this trip was so Jenna could climb Stone Mountain.

We made it top with zero mishaps or injuries! We did see a number of people slipping.

While at the Georgia visitor center, John saw an advertisement for a tour of Chick-fil-A’s headquarters in Atlanta, and requested we partake. We did. While the chicken does taste good, the real secret is perhaps also treating the employees and customers well. The headquarters was beautiful, and we learned they also have a daycare for employees who had kids.

At Cleveland, Georgia, we visited BabyLand General Hospital, a place full of Cabbage Patch Kids. There, they displayed a work by Andy Warhol of a Cabbage Patch doll.

We took a tour underground of Consolidated Gold Mine in Dahlonega, Georgia, going 1/4 of a mile underground. Julia said, “These are not like the rocks at Universal Studios.”

So glad to see everyone so loving.

John was chosen to demonstrate how gold miners broke stone underneath in the search for gold.

They let us watch a video on the technique of gold panning, and then we got to work.

In Helen, Georgia, we rode the Georgia Mountain Coaster. Here, Jenn and I rode together.

We went ziplining at Unicoi State Park. Here, Julia is about to launch.

Jenna ziplining.

John ziplining as well.

After we did level 1, the kids enjoyed it so much, we upgraded and did level 2 as well.

We enjoyed getting together with Channy, Kimhean, Alex, and Christina, as they show us their egg farm. The kids were put to work putting the eggs in the container, and they said they had so much fun!

March 17, 2023:

Thanks to Amanda for getting me this “Don’t Pinch Me” t-shirt. Still got pinched. In a loving way. Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

February 28, 2023: While talking on the phone with Blake Merry about the Constitution, he mentioned his dad has a truck with the Constitution on it.  He said he would text me a picture.  Once I saw the picture, I was so impressed, I asked him and his dad if it is OK for me to share on this blog.  They were OK.  Thank you!  So spectacular and inspirational!

July 4-6, 2022: Summer Break Trip to Universal Studios and Island of Adventure

Julia queuing to ride the Hogwarts Express.

John and Jenna enjoying the Great Feast and Butterbeer at Three Broomsticks.

Julia riding with John and Jenna riding with Amanda on Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. We found that the lines were over two hours in the morning at around 9 a.m., but under two hours after lunch. This ride had the longest line of any ride in Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure.

Our kids loved Dr. Seuss since before they would read themselves. John really loved all the pictures in Oh, the Places You’ll Go! as a baby.

Jenna loves her Macaroni and Cheese at Cowfish in Universal CityWalk.

Love that these three love each other so much!

After eating at Thunder Falls Terrace, Jenna, Julia and John went outside to the Jurassic Park River Adventure Splash Zone. This is the before picture.

The after picture at the Jurassic Park River Adventure Splash Zone.

December 26-2021 to January 1, 2022: Winter Break Trip to Atlanta

Our kids were impressed that our relatives built a fish pond in the backyard!

Our kids loved the food, including pre-sliced oranges and apples. We really enjoyed the time there! Thank you!

The family traveled back in time at the Varsity, to 1928, when it was founded.

I said while waiting in line at Six Flags over Georgia, “It looks like I’m not the only one who loves Mommy.” John said, “I guess not!”

At the Zoo Atlanta, we got to see a panda, like this one, and also a red panda.

Amanda got the kids to analyze original documents and photographs from the archive at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library.

Family is the most joyous thing in life. Here, after snacking, we went out to the sock skating rink at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History to see if it was ready for the kids as it had been raining all day.

They cleared the water, and allowed the kids to enjoy the sock skating rink.

I like this poetic take by Ralph Waldo Emerson, who wrote, “Earth laughs in flowers.”

Jenna enjoys being an artist, and loves to be creative. She tells me she can read people’s minds and therefore make predictions. I told her I agreed with her.

At Stone Mountain, they said the conditions were too dangerous for the Skyride to operate as it had been raining for the past several days, so we decided to hike about a mile to get to the summit. The kids were super cautious, and read the signs along the way, so eventually we made it back safely after a total of two miles hiking in the rainy and slippery mountain. Maybe it was a good thing the Skyride was closed since we enjoyed the climb so much?

When I’m with Amanda, Christmas never ends. I’m pretty lucky.

Amanda used to sing “Baby Beluga” by Raffi to calm the kids when they were babies, and to this day, it is one of their favorite songs. She still sings it to relax them 🙂

SkyView Atlanta allowed us to see skyscrapers in Atlanta, and all the kids really enjoyed this vacation. They were sad it was over, but know the love will continue. Happy 2022!

Tuesday, August 10, 2021: Jenna earning black stripes in martial arts today, along with Julia and John 👍

Sunday, August 8, 2021: Father-Son Trip 2021

For our father-son trip this year, John wanted to go to the Everglades to ride an airboat. We also got to experience animal encounters in the Everglades, such as this scorpion, handled by an employee at Everglades Holiday Park, Matthew. He said he was 18, never stung by a scorpion, and was going to the University of Florida for ecology this year. He gave us a closer look at a scorpion.

We were able to look and touch other animals, such as a boa, a tortoise, a baby alligator, and this bearded dragon, named Charmander.

Everglades Holiday Park has airboats with roofs. The roofs were handy because the cruise went on whether it was rain or shine. It did rain for several minutes during our trip. Thanks to Bun Ou for telling me about this company as an option. The company is under lots of construction, so they are expanding tremendously.

We did see vultures and several alligators on the tour of the Everglades, also known as River of Grass, due to the sawgrass all around the river. The Everglades is a slow-moving and shallow river, flowing as slow as around a meter a day.

n Miami, John wanted to see the cityscape, so we rode the Skyviews MIAMI Wheel.

The Miami Seaquarium was smaller than Sea World, but we did enjoy meeting several dolphins up close and feeding them herrings.

July 3, 2021, to July 10, 2021:

We went to Maryland to participate in the nuptials of Leslie and Nicko. Jenna and Julia were flower girls, and John was the scroll bearer.

Leslie with the father of the bride. Leslie has always been sweet and understanding. The father of the bride is one of the kindest and most understanding human beings. Always love spending time with both.

It was an honor to officiate the ceremony, and I will always cherish the wonderful experience with Leslie and Nicko.

Leslie and Nicko took turns reading the scrolls that John carried, and they added a personal and meaningful touch to the event.

A couple of days afterwards, all 10 cousins got to swim and enjoy more family time. They all did great working together to make the nuptials special. What incredible cousins!

After we left Maryland, we spent some time in one of our favorite cities, Washington, D.C.

Despite the rain from Tropical Storm Elsa, we were determined to make it to sites such as the National Portrait Gallery/Smithsonian American Art Museum.

This piece made out of bottle caps, wood, and wire, around 1961-1971, was one of their favorites at the Smithsonian American Art Museum.

We visited George Washington’s Mount Vernon home, and took a tour. The railings here were original railings.

Water Country USA was a good place to cool down.

We revisited Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Our first time there was six years earlier, and we had even more fun this time because John, Jenna, and Julia are now more independent 🙂

Monday, June 14, 2021: I have to run very early in the morning when it is cooler now that it gets to 95 degrees regularly during the day!

Tuesday-Wednesday, May 11-12, 2021:  Served jury duty.  Wonderful experience.

Sunday, March 14, 2021: Jenna had been asking to do indoor skydiving, and she got to do it today. After she flew, I asked her how it was. She said, “It was cooler than I thought!” She is braver than I was at her age!

Monday, March 8, 2021: Covid-19 Time Capsule to be Opened in 20 Years

John was enthusiastically helping me transplant two lemon trees, and he asked if he could put a time capsule in one old hole where the lemon tree used to be. I said sure! He wrote a letter about being alive during a pandemic, wearing a mask, and loving Lego. John, Jenna, and Julia also added artifacts from 2020-2021 into the time capsule.

The plan is to open the time capsule in 20 years or when we move, whichever came first. John contributed a LEGO brick, a Chuck E. Cheese token, and a stone. Jenna added a LOL Surprise doll toothbrush cover. Julia placed a small box of soap into the time capsule.

John dropped the pickle jar, which is now a time capsule, into the hole where our lemon tree used to be. The lemon tree is now on the other side of the yard where the sprinkler would give more water.

Julia helped to fill the hole so grass would once again grow in that spot.

Monday, February 15, 2021: John spending his 10th birthday at Legoland Florida. Legoland Florida is also celebrating a 10th birthday this year! Julia is hiding in this picture because she is a ninja 😃

Saturday, January 30, and Sunday, January 31, 2021: Marty and Marty’s Farm Campout

Amanda and I knew Mary Baer from WJXT Channel 4 News, and we got to camp at her family farm where we saw a donkey, chickens, wild turkeys, and her beloved horses.

In her chicken coop, Mary gave the kids freeze dried worms to feed the chickens.

John and Jillian, a caring and out-going friend, loved to pet Gabe, Marty’s people-loving bulldog.

Mary took us on a hike, and there were frequent stops to look at wildlife, such as wild turkeys and cardinals. John and the Twins got to rest their feet on the golf cart with Jillian. Amanda and I tried to get in our 10,000 steps for the day. Jenna said that besides riding a horse, she really enjoyed riding the golf cart during this camping trip.

Julia said she loved feeding Dominic the horse. Here, she is getting to ride Dolly as Mary is coaching Julia how to handle riding. Jackson, the donkey was nearby (left side above the horse’s head), and Marty explained wherever Dolly went, so too would Jackson as they calmed each other and are now inseparable. So beautiful! Mary said she also uses these horses to help relax kids with special needs in her charity. What a sweet and giving action!

On the next day, we go to pick citrus fruits all over the farm. Julia was brave to climb a grapefruit tree to pick the ones we could not reach from the ground.

Julia was very good with keeping clean and washing her hands.

Lizzie was very patient and full of information about vinegarroon, tarantulas and two snakes. Jenna was the first of the three to touch the first snake.

All three kids also got to touch the second snake. I believe the kids are braver than some adults, such as myself 🙂

Wednesday, December 30, 2020:

While eating dinner earlier today during our winter break vacation, the kids spontaneously decided to give mommy a hug. What sweet and caring children! Have a safe and happy 2021!

Sunday, December 20, 2020: Webelos (WE’ll BE LOyal Scouts) Winter Blast Weekend 2020

At Camp Shands, face masks were mandatory, temperature checks took place everyday, and food was delivered to campsites via golf carts, such as this breakfast, instead of us going to a dining hall, so we got to eat outside. Nice to have warm food after Friday night, which dropped to 42 F. We had a double sleeping bag, thermal clothing, hoodie, air bed by AlwayzAire (the air bed has an air pump that continually keeps the bed inflated with a rechargeable battery), and a winter tent.

After breakfast, on Saturday, we went on a hike to the chapel, and John remarked that it looked like a Zoom virtual background so we took a picture and will use it as our Zoom virtual background one day.

John got to shoot bows and arrows, and after he was done, they gave a chance for us adults to shoot as well. I was able to hit the blue part of the bullseye 🙂

Despite it being cold for Florida, hovering around 55 F during the day, all the activities, such as this arts and craft hour, took place outside with masks on. We found that wearing masks actually keeps us warm, like scarves.

John made a Christmas ornament of his archery experience earlier. His other project was making a tic-tac-toe game using the bag as the board, and gems as pieces.

Scouts like to play this game called Ga Ga Ball, which is like dodgeball, but in some ways more contained because most of the time, the ball stays inside the octagon fence. They use the hand, and if the ball touches anybody below the waist, that person is out.

As these were Cub Scouts and one 14-year-old staff member, there were several times when they had to consult the rules. Nice that Camp Shands has the rules right by the game area.

After our last dinner, as the sun was setting, and it was getting colder again, we took a final hike and decided we would like to come back to Camp Shands again 🙂

Sunday, November 29, 2020: My kids love Lego, and my wife and I are so glad Legoland in Winter Haven (Polk County) exists!  We enjoyed a family trip there, and as we were leaving, all three kids said they want to return!

Sunday, November 15, 2020: John made a new personal record today! He hiked six miles on the Jacksonville Baldwin Rail Trail! He has a big heart, and the will to meet his own goal. What a treat to see cows and chickens on the way. In this picture, he had already walked five miles, and with the next step over that white line, he would be breaking his old record and making it toward the six miles he wanted for today 🙂

Friday, October 23, 2020:

Sunday, October 11, 2020: Julia has been wanting to return to ride the go-kart and a few roller coasters, and I was so glad we made it today. I normally enjoy spending time with her anywhere, but during a pandemic, the fact that she was so comfortable and accepting of her face mask, and seeing her ability to adapt to our changing planet, just makes me extra joyful for her and the future of our planet. Life can be challenging, but our children are kind and strong.

Wednesday, August 26, 2020: New York City seems to be taking steps in the right direction making sure classrooms have windows that open, and air filters that work. NYC is embracing the open air schools concept as well, allowing classes to reserve places in city parks or in the streets if the principals apply for permits. So far, 243 principals have submitted requests to hold classes outside. Current research, like old research, is showing most infections occur indoors where people are also going maskless:  NYC To Inspect Ventilation Systems In Every Classroom Ahead Of New School Year

Sunday, August 16, 2020:

Julia clapping for Jenna as they complete an obstacle course. Glad they were able to keep the mask on despite a rigorous day. Jenna at one point said she even forgot she had a mask on. I guess young people learn fast!

Spontaneous hugging really warms the heart and soul!

Friday, August 7, 2020: Julia was very poetic. She made a somber day more bearable. John’s Betta fish died today. As John was burying the fish under his Christmas tree in our backyard, it was raining. “The Earth is sad,” Julia said.

Sunday, July 25, 2020:  Where there is a will, there is a way, even with masks on! 😀

Monday, July 20, 2020: One interesting solution from the past to deal with a contagious disease were open air schools started in the USA by Drs. Mary S. Packard and Ellen A. Stone in Rhode Island. They copied this idea from schools in Europe (Waldeschule or forest schools in Germany in 1904). Students would learn outside, in nature or in any place with just a roof. During the winters when snow fell, the students stayed warm in “Eskimo sitting bags.” They had a heated soapstone for their cold feet. They were given hot soup. A fire was lit. It was considered a success. The last open air school in Rhode Island closed in 1957 when tuberculosis receded with antibiotics. It seems when medical experts and educators were given the opportunity to solve problems, they did: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-schools-reopening-outdoors.html

Sunday, July 12, 2020: New organizing task is done.  We now organized our face masks!

Saturday, July 11, 2020: John, my son, had wanted to do indoor skydiving, and today, we got to do it!

John suiting up

John flying!

Friday, July 10, 2020: We went to my parents’ house, and in their backyard, they have a home garden.  They gave us a papaya and Thai Basils to plant!

Julia also got a fig fruit!

Wednesday, July 8, 2020: My wife, Amanda Seng, and I visited the Lightner Museum in St. Augustine.

Saturday, July 4, 2020: Jenna woke up and said, “I’m awake and I’m ready to party!” Obviously, she is a morning person. I asked her what she meant by “party.” She said, “Playing with stuffed animals.” Party on, Jenna! Also, congratulations to the USA on the experiment that started back on July 4, 1776. Happy 244th Birthday! We are a resilient bunch that can handle anything.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020: John received this handmade fish as a gift when he was several months old. Today is the first full day where masks are required in public places in Jacksonville. John decided to put a mask on his fish so it will survive the pandemic. I hope all will survive.

Thursday, June 25, 2020: Oh, so I guess they were not kidding when they said they wanted to run from our place to the park this evening! 😄

Sunday, May 31, 2020: Since we are home a lot due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Amanda has decided to be like Little House on the Prairie and started a garden 

Wednesday, May 28, 2020:  Shopping for food during the COVID-19 Pandemic

Wednesday, May 13, 2020: What a caring brother, that John. While going through a neighborhood, he decided to go back a little and said he was going to get a surprise for his sisters. He returned and presented with flowers 😀

Saturday, April 18, 2020: Free online Ivy League courses for those interested in learning! This current stay-home order during the Covid-19 pandemic might be a great time to follow your calling and passion: https://www.classcentral.com/collection/ivy-league-moocs

Sunday, April 12, 2020: Gratitude scavenger hunt with pictures! Because my wife and I wanted healthier things than candy in the Easter eggs today, we put in coupons like five extra minutes of outside time, we get to do a science experiment, etc… This picture shows they are using the scavenger hunt coupon. This was No. 8 on the scavenger hunt list, which is why you see John holding up eight fingers. No. 8 was what made you feel safe, so Jenna is pointing to me. Julia is eating an apple because she is hungry. I will add a link to this gratitude scavenger hunt sheet in Google Docs right below this picture if you are interested in doing what I created too.

Gratitude Scavenger Hunt Sheet

Tuesday, April 7, 2020:

This clip is only 15 seconds long, but made me laugh for 16 seconds!  Many people who found themselves using Zoom for the first time may see someone they recognized in this piece.  2020 will forever be etched in our collective memories:

Friday, March 27, 2020:  Looks like our house is ready for bear hunt! To entertain kids who are home and doing online school during this coronavirus pandemic, people around the world are putting stuffed animals in their windows as a heartwarming way for kids to have something to look forward to seeing when they walk around the neighborhood for exercise. It makes social distancing during a pandemic more bearable for kids (of course pun intended). One person in the article said, “It reminds us that we’re part of something bigger than ourselves and we’re all going through this together.”

Here is an article about bear hunts: https://time.com/5809613/bear-hunts-coronavirus/

March 3, 2020: Often, it is sweet to have sisters who are a pair of identical twins. What a smooth ride!

December 27, 2019, to January 2, 2020: Winter Break Trip

To travel, we needed to fuel up. John was eager to help in North Carolina.

Julia got a carrot! All three kids watched Frozen I and Frozen 2. I wonder what they will build at Liberty Mountain Resort in Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania.

They said they were building a snow snake!

Jenna was helping pull Julia on the snow tube.

Jenna and Julia brought home some spider plants from school in miniature pots. At a restaurant in Virginia, Jenna was happy to see those little pots similar to what she had, with tiny Christmas trees.

Though I enjoy travelling, being with Julia anywhere is just so sweet!

After several attempts over the years, we made it into the National Museum of African American History & Culture. The food was among the best of all the museums in Washington, DC. At Sweet Home Cafe, I had Trout and greens. So delicious!

John was happy and focused ice skating for the first time at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink.

Julia attempting to skate for the first time went very well with help from Kyle Lim. What a caring and talented cousin!

John helping read to Julia what was on the monitor at the National Museum of Natural History.

The 45.52 carats Hope Diamond at the Natural History Museum

Jenna loved looking at the beautiful crystals as much as I did!

More beautiful than any exhibit at the Smithsonian!

They loved this sign that said, “Please touch” by this 1,433 pounds Beryl.

Jenna touching a piece of Mars!

Ever eager, Jenna asked to hold a tobacco hornworm after John touched it.

Sunday, November 24, 2019: John’s first weekend Cub Scouting at Camp Shands in Hawthorne, FL

It was a wonderful opportunity to spend time and see the beauty of nature at Lake Loyal.

John got to do a Round Robin of activities, including this rock climbing wall. He made it to the top on both structures!

John got to see more deer on this hike, his second sighting this year while exploring. Great time to reconnect with nature. Of course, the most important of all is breaking bread and connecting with fellow campers. Few activities are as relaxing as roasting marshmallows over a campfire.

Monday, September 16, 2019: More good news from the tuition-free movement for higher education. Cornell University’s medical school will pay for tuition, housing, and living expenses for those who qualify for financial aid starting this year!:  Cornell medical school to offer free attendance for qualifying students

Wednesday, September 4, 2019:  Hurricane Dorian is leaving Florida, and John said he is “Swinging in the rain!“

Saturday, August 10, and Sunday, August 11, 2019: John and I went on a dolphin adventure!

Last summer, John asked to swim with dolphins. I said we will do it in the summer of 2019. This past weekend, we went on a sailboat, Freedom, to look for dolphins. Aboard, the captain asked John to help a crew member raise the sails.

We saw dolphins in the wild four times on the Schooner Freedom!

Waving to the dolphin, and the dolphin waved back!

John was patient and waited a year to get to spend time with a dolphin.

Brave guy!

John said this is his favorite experience with the dolphin. John got pulled across the water by the dolphin. I have to agree with John. Quite exhilarating!

Friday, July 12, 2019:  Congratulations to the world’s largest democracy, India, for moving more people out of poverty in 10 years, 271 million people, than any other democracies on the planet. Sometimes the best way to show that something can be done is to do it: India lifted 271 million people out of poverty in 10 years: UN

Saturday, July 6, 2019: We explored USF:

Rich and his family spent some time with us showing USF. They were so wonderful, conscientious and gifted!

The twins loved being held by Sian and Mia!

The university’s library was a bigger hit with the kids than I thought! They especially loved the study pods.

Jenna tried out the study pods, and they look much more comfortable than the ones I used!

Thursday-Friday, July 4-5, 2019: We played in Busch Gardens, Tampa:

John and Sian on Cobra’s Curse. We rode this roller coaster three times over two days.

About to fly on SheiKra, one of my favorite rides at Busch Gardens.

Jenna and Amanda waiting in line for Scorpion. Jenna said Scorpion was her favorite ride. I got to hold her hands during the ride.

Mia and Julia chatting it up. Julia said her favorite ride was Air Grover.

What a sweet group to spend some fun time with! John loved spending time with his cousins who rode with him. He said his favorite roller coaster was Cheetah Hunt.

While waiting for Big Bird’s Whirly Birdie ride, Jenna and Julia decided to hold hands. So caring!

Glad to see everyone ending the day united, and taking care of each other!

When I said I was going to get some ice for the cooler, Jenna wanted to help. She said, “It’s fun!” Made my week!

Wednesday, July 3, 2019: We visited St. Petersburg, Florida:

We visited the Salvador Dali Museum and found The Disintegration of the Persistence of Memory. John was impressed with some of Dali’s work where based on how far one stood from the painting one would see different images. On a tour, we were told the building was designed to withstand a Category 5 hurricane so the paintings will be protected.

John, Jenna, and Julia with cousins Sian and Mia melting in the heat during the hot summer in Florida in the garden of the Dali Museum.

We also visited the Florida Holocaust Museum, and saw an actual train used to transport victims.

Monday, July 1, 2019: The governor of California signed into law offering two years of free community college to first-time students, in addition to other assistance! Good to see states coming up with good solutions to help the next generation: California budget spends $280 million to make college more affordable, from savings to grants

Wednesday, June 5, 2019: A company based in California is offering the best graduate degree deal to date. The company, C3.ai, will pay for employees to get a master’s in computer science from the online program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, plus, that is not all. The company will pay the college directly ($21,000), so the employee will not need to do the paperwork to get reimbursed later after paying out-of-pocket. Also, those who do get the master’s degree will get a cash bonus of $25,000, a 15% pay raise, and stocks.  Go here to read the article from Forbes.

Monday, April 1, 2019: Attending the ICARE Nehemiah Assembly at Abyssinia Missionary Baptist to hear about Jacksonville’s 99 problems, and more importantly, the 99 solutions from the community with elected officials

Sunday, March 17, 2019: Thanks to Publix Super Markets for allowing John to see his Camp Cards.  The kids sold out of their entire allotment of Camp Cards in 30 minutes!  People are so kind! 

Monday, March 11, 2019: Looks like we will no longer need to change our clocks twice a year as soon as Congresses passes Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott’s bill to keep the time permanent this year. I guess I can stop discussing with my kids why they lose sleep because of the time change, and how more unsafe it is the next morning because some drivers are sleep-deprived: Trump says he’s onboard with adopting daylight saving time year-round

Friday, March 8, 2019: They each ran a mile today at Mile Maker. I think they deserve that cup of water!

Monday, March 4, 2019: Major find about the Mayans in Mexico: Maya ritual cave ‘untouched’ for 1,000 years stuns archaeologists

Thursday, January 31, 2019: Good news on this cold day. Governor Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island is proposing in 2020 to expand to include the last two years of college too at Rhode Island College so those students will get bachelor’s degrees.

They already have free community college education under the Rhode Island Promise program, and the result shows a 43% increase in first-time, full-time student enrollment!  Here is the link to the story: Rhode Island Promise Leads

Sunday, January 27, 2019: I told Julia she could eat her cotton candy-flavored ice cream before I got my banana-split, but she insisted on waiting for me to get my treat before she would take a bite of hers. She is definitely sweeter than our treats!

Sunday, January 6, 2018: John loves gadgets and here decided to try out virtual reality, looking at a haunted house.

Friday, January 4, 2018:  Jenna loves unicorns, and at an indoor mall, was eager to drive this motorized unicorn.  I had a lot of fun too cruising in the mall on a machine.

Thursday, January 3, 2019:

Five-year-old Jenna and I were arguing about whether it is a good idea for her to use the elliptical machine so late in the day. I decided to use my “I’m-older-and-therefore-wiser card” to shorten the conversation as it was almost time for her to go to sleep.

“Who is older?” I asked, to trap her.

“I’m 100,” she said.

“If you are that old, why don’t you have wrinkles?” I said, thinking I have ended the conversation well.

Jenna smiled and responded, “Because I am a special lady.”

Yes, you are very special, Jenna! I am so lucky I get to know you better each day!

Tuesday, January 1, 2019: Happy 2019! May we all be able to welcome the pain of change and take flight!

Thursday, December 13, 2018: Former Cisco CEO John Chambers said he had a secret problem that he turned into a strength.  He said he has dyslexia, and he is able to look at things differently.  He said most people with dyslexia have above average IQ.  He said to memorize things, he pictures himself talking to people knows about that important topic: How Cisco’s Former CEO Turned A Secret ‘Disability’ Into His Greatest Strength

Monday, November 18, 2018: The $1.8 billion donation from Michael Bloomberg to John Hopkins University means starting in the fall of 2019, low and middle-class students will be given scholarship grants instead of loans there. Very nice! Bloomberg also encourages the federal and state government to make a new commitment to increasing access to college for students and reducing the debt burden in his op-ed published in the New York Times yesterday. He wrote that college is the best investment in the American dream. College allowed someone like him, from a middle-class family, to be even more successful.  Click here to read the article.

Sunday, November 11, 2018: Julia was so loving. She noticed Jenna’s fish died yesterday morning. For the whole day, Julia was giving Jenna special treatments such as allowing Jenna to sit in the seat that Julia was sitting in and offering Jenna snacks and toys. What sweet memories! Glad I got to see all of that. Jenna is OK now. We went to the pet shop, and came out with three more fishes due to the buy two, get one free deal 😀

Tuesday, September 18, 2018:  Starting in the fall of 2019, students from middle-class families, those earning less than $130,000 per year, can attend Rice University without paying tuition (currently $46,600 per year). Students whose families make less than $65,000 per year will get tuition plus housing, fees, and food paid for!  Rice University Says Middle-Class And Low-Income Students Won’t Have To Pay Tuition

Monday, August 27, 2018: More good news from higher education: high school graduates in Illinois whose family make less than $61,000 per year can attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign without paying for tuition (the university will pay the $15,000 per year in tuition for up to four years starting in the Fall of 2019)!: UI to offer free tuition to in-state students below median household income

Friday, August 24, 2018:

Jenna running in a fundraiser. Sweaty, but satisfying

Thursday, August 16, 2018: NYU medical school is tuition-free forever starting this year! The dreams of visionaries is reality:  NYU makes tuition free for all medical students

Sunday, July 29, 2018:

As a kid, I saw the world turned upside down. Even if the world were to turn upside down again, I would still love you, Johnny. Prepare yourself and enjoy even the boring and mundane moments. Every moment is precious.

Monday, July 2 to Saturday, July 7, 2018:  Here are some pictures of our five-day cruise out of Jacksonville.  It was John’s second cruise, and the first one for our twins, Jenna and Julia.  We thought it would be very convenient to cruise from our hometown!

We cruised on the Carnival Elation.

Jenna and Julia were playing at the water park. At the end of the cruise, Julia said she wants to live on the cruise ship because she wants to ride the water slide every day.

John and I got to spend an hour interacting with a group of stingrays at Princess Cay, the Bahamas.

John was holding Jenna’s hold on a bus ride in Nassau, the Bahamas. One of the things I love about traveling is that people grow up so much faster.  New environment stimulates the brain. So sweet to see the kids helping each other out.

On the return trip to the mainland, Carnival had a Green Eggs and Ham breakfast. My twins got to meet another set of twins, Thing 1 and Thing 2.

Monday, June 25, 2018:  Teachers, even when they are dying, want to continue to give to others, and to help others lead successful lives.  They just want to see the world be a better place: A teacher’s dying wish helps hundreds of needy kids with backpacks and school supplies

Tuesday, May 8, 2018: A ride on the Skyway Express after a stop at Sweet Pete’s

Monday, April 16, 2018:  The Trio babysat Cocoa, and we returned the guinea pig to the owner in excellent shape this morning. Well done!

Monday, April 9, 2018: Congratulations to Sen. Tammy Duckworth, who gave birth to a baby girl today. She became the first woman to give birth while serving in the U.S. Senate. Progress, right? She was also the first female with disabilities elected to the Senate. She was the first American female double amputee from the Iraq War. After her injury from the Iraq War, she finished her Ph.D. I guess we could say she is on a mission: Tammy Duckworth becomes first woman to give birth while serving in U.S. Senate

Tuesday, March 6, 2018:  Over 500 Canadian doctors protest raises, say they’re being paid too much (yes, too much)

Thursday, March 1, 2018: Detention or Yoga?

Friday, February 2, 2018: Scientists Find Massive Mayan Society Under Guatemala Jungle

Friday, February 2, 2018: So excited for Mister Fred Rogers! Looking forward to buying some. Here is one of his sage advices: “There is no normal life that is free of pain. It’s the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth.”:  Mister Rogers stamp ceremony details announced

Thursday, January 11, 2018:  Happy New Year!  Never give up, never surrender!  Here is a story about a man who is in a wheelchair climbing a mountain:  Wheelchair-bound athlete honored for climbing up mountain

Monday, July 10, 2017:  Family trip to Chicago!

Jenna’ first time flying. Also, this is Julia’s first time. John has been flying for a handful of times.

The view of Chicago from the John Hancock Center

With Jenna at the Navy Pier. Jenna, like Julia and John, loves learning and going on vacations.

Family on a boat with Shoreline’s Architecture Tour on the Chicago River. The tour guide said the highest skyscraper in the city is spelled W-I-L-L-I-S Tower, and is pronounced Sears Tower.

On the Ledge atop the Willis Tower. At first, I went alone. Then John wanted to go, so we got back in line and I took him. Then the twins heard about our experience, and we got in line a third time so they could get on the Ledge and look down at the city sitting on glass too. Brave and curious people!

The family at the Tribune Tower. The tower had rocks and fragments from all around the world embedded in the outside walls, such as pieces from the Great Pyramid, Angkor Wat, and the Great Wall of China.

Mobbing Mommy moment!

With the most beautiful, intelligent and caring woman in the world, my wife, Mrs. Amanda Seng. Besides being an amazing wife, she is also the perfect mom for our three children.

More Mommy loving time at the Nutella Cafe for breakfast! That is what you get for being sweet like honey, Mommy!

Our children see Sue, the T. rex at the Field Museum. Sue is the largest and best-preserved Tyrannosaurus rex.

Julia on the return flight back home. All the kids said they were ready for another vacation to Chicago as we returned 🙂

Sunday, June 4, 2017: John was chosen to collect money for Meals on Wheels today 🙂

Monday, April 10, 2017:  It is official.  New York became the first state to give free four-year college education to all state residents who are middle class or lower.  It is expected that 80% of students in NY will be eligible: Free college tuition for middle class students? N.Y. lawmakers vote yes

Tuesday, January 3, 2017: Happy New Year!  Here is an entry about my Winter Break.  We traveled through North Carolina to D.C., Maryland and Pennsylvania.  We saw snow!

Outside of Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh, North Carolina, we found Gandhi with a walking stick similar to what we use during hikes.

After John rode the bear at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo in Washington, D.C., he gave the Twins a chance to ride too while he goes on a short hike.

Family picture at the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C.

My wife about to let Julia and Jenna slide down the hill ice tubing at Liberty Mountain Resort in Carroll Valley, Pennsylvania. John is waiting to go again.

John and the twins totally enjoyed playing with snow. John said the main difference between fake snow in Florida (bubbles) and the real one further north was that the real ones were colder.

Going up the hill!

Having non-stop fun at our relative’s house in Maryland.

The Twins sleep in separate beds at home, but on the road, they got to sleep in the same bed. One morning, I heard them whispering, “I love you Julia.” And Julia said, “I love you Jenna.” They found each other’s hand in the dark were holding it. I was so elated to see what was happening that I told them I was taking a picture to savor the moment.

Friday, November 11, 2016: We were at the city fair earlier.  On the way home, I dropped my phone and did not know it. I felt a tap on my shoulders. I turned around to find a man caught up with me to return my phone. So thankful most people are so nice and kind 🙂

Monday, August 1, 2016: Last week, my family and I celebrated our wedding anniversary.  Here are some pictures from our anniversary celebration.

Our official anniversary dinner

Our official anniversary dinner

Jenna, Julia and John enjoying family time on vacation

The three watching the big bucket dump water on people. John would eventually be brave enough to join me under the bucket.

Monday, July 11, 2016: Most FLVS teachers are back in the office.  Here are some pictures from my family album:

Jenna giving John a hug while holding toy caterpillars outside of the Butterfly Rainforest at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Jenna was wearing a Band-Aid on her knee simply because her sister was wearing one. Her sister was wearing one because she thinks it is a sticker. Moral of the story: buy boring stickers, not Mickey Mouse ones.

John is a big fan of roller coasters, and this year, he is tall enough to ride them all at LEGOLAND!

John has been in soccer training at his school since last year. I noticed the twins playing with balls at Wal-Mart and Target, etc…, so I signed them up for soccer too this summer. This past week, they had their first training session, and I was very impressed with Julia’s and Jenna’s dribbling!

John has been in soccer training at his school since last year. I noticed the twins playing with balls at Walmart and Target, etc…, so I signed them up for soccer too this summer. This past week, they had their first training session, and I was very impressed with Julia’s and Jenna’s dribbling!

Jenna and Julia were pretty happy they were able to score goals! At the end of training, they were elated to get stickers! They are now Band-Aid free! Yes!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016: Amazing discovery by a 15-year-old student: Teen Discovers Lost Maya City Using Ancient Star Maps

Tuesday, April 19, 2016:  Why living around nature could make you live longer

Wednesday, April 13, 2016:  I’m back from vacation to Walt Disney World.  Below are some pictures from the family trip to Disney World 🙂

The kids playing at Epcot. I do not think they have been to a park they did not like.

Fortunately, the Twins have a synced sleep schedule.

The Twins were a bit apprehensive when they last met characters in November 2015. We told about about this trip, and they both said, "I will be brave." And they were!

The Twins were a bit apprehensive when they last met characters in November 2015. We told them about this trip, and they both said, “I will be brave.” And they were!

What is more fun than being at Disney World? Being at Disney with ice cream!

John and Kylo Ren in a staring contest.

John and Kylo Ren in a staring contest.

Watching the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. John loves mom!

Monday, February 22, 2016:  Mrs. Stephanie Grether (“Mrs. G”) is interning with me until 4/29/2016.  She is fully qualified to teach as an intern, and will be getting her teaching degree after this internship!  She used to work at Winnie Palmer Hospital.  She is a mom to two beautiful children.  She is here to help students be very successful!  I (Mr. Seng) will still be the one to issue your final grade this semester.  

Saturday, February 20, 2016: John getting kisses on his cheek from Julia 🙂

John getting kisses on his cheek from Julia

Monday, January 4, 2016:  What a sweet guy. John gave each sister a kiss this morning 🙂

20160104_074922

Thursday, December 24, 2015: We planted a Christmas tree this summer and it has taken root. Merry Christmas! Peace and goodwill to all.

20151224_103404

Sunday, December 13, 2015: We were eating at the mall’s food court, and Jenna kept running to where Santa was.  Finally we all went and got our first family picture with Santa:

SS_20151213_000008_Main One

Thursday, December 3, 2015: Good problem to have. After washing the Twin’s dresses along with my clothes from the Orlando trip, some of my shirts have started to glitter 🙂 

20151129_162852

Sunday, November 28, 2015: Getting ready to get on a 3D Star Wars ride in Orlando with My Buddy and me

20151128_125006

Friday, September 24, 2015: 105-year-old Japanese man sets new 100-meter sprint record

Monday, September 14, 2015: The Department of Education has a new site up that can help students and parents learn more about colleges: College Scoreboard

Sunday, July 26, 2015: Life is beautiful… Also the name of one of my favorite movies:

20150726_154126

Monday, July 13, 2015:  I’m back from summer break.  These are some pictures from our vacation to Maryland, D.C. and Virginia:

John riding the subway in D.C. to attend the Smithsonian Folklife Festival

John meeting an old friend again. Jack-Jack is now seven years old. John took great care of Jack-Jack and cried when we had to leave the house.

The family at Colonial Williamsburg after visiting the cotton and tobacco fields .

Our three kids at the community gardens at Colonial Williamsburg.

Jenna and Julia at Busch Gardens Williamsburg being very brave. Julia recognizes daddy :-)

Jenna and Julia at Busch Gardens Williamsburg being very brave. Julia recognizes daddy 🙂

The trio going on a ride. Jenna did not want to get off the ride after it was over.

Saturday, June 13, 2015: Sweet big brother sharing his ice cream with his sister on a hot summer day 🙂

John feeding Jenna

Sunday, May 31, 2015: Julia and Jenna found the shoe area. Within seconds both took off their shoes to try on other pairs.

Jenna and Julia trying out shoes

Sunday, May 24, 2015: “It is as tall as me!” John gushes about his giant Duplo collection. He looks at Jenna’s pile and says, “Yours is just a puny stack!” Then Jenna quickly makes a decision 🙂

Monday, March 30, 2015: A thousand-year-old medieval remedy was able to kill a superbug that was resistant to many antibiotics! Still so much to learn from the past: Anglo-Saxon cow bile and garlic potion kills MRSA

Wednesday, March 25, 2015: Julia thinks she is too old to sit in a high chair so she sits in a regular chair for breakfast 🙂

20150325_074427

Monday, March 23, 2015: John was helping me rake some leaves yesterday. He said it was fun. I asked him where we should put his green rake, and my black rake after we were done. He said to put it next to each other. “It looks like Daddy is hugging Johnny,” he said. Thoughtful dude!

20150323_140951C

Wednesday, February 11, 2015: Power napping really IS good for you: A 30-minute snooze can repair the damage caused by a lack of sleep

Wednesday, February 4, 2015: The end of the common cold and other viral diseases may be near: Researchers discover viral “Enigma machine”

Friday, January 9, 2015: Want to live to three digits and still be mentally vibrant?  This 100-year-old credits an attitude of gratitude for getting her to 100. She started teaching an exercise class at the age of 85: Exercise instructor turns 100

Friday, January 9, 2015:  Ever wished you could have more time to do things? Well, on June 30, 2015, we all will get an extra second. You get an extra second, you get an extra second, and you get an extra second! Thank you Oprah! Also thank you Paris Observatory:  Leap second: French time lords add one second to 2015 

Saturday, December 6, 2014: Inspecting the canons at Castillo De San Marcos in St. Augustine

P1060205_C

Merry Christmas :-)

Merry Christmas 🙂

Saturday, November 8, 2014: It is true. The Twins are growing up very fast. While cleaning up, I turn around to see Julia playing dress-up with the kitchen cloth. Apparently they were taking turns putting the sheet over their heads and shoulders.

Julia and Kitchen Cloth

Thursdays, November 6, 2014: The Get Along Gang!

20141102_171342

Friday, October 31, 2014: Trick-or-Treat!

Loading Dalmatians

My wife, Amanda, loading the Julia and Jenna the Dalmatians into our wagon.

John the Firefighter pulling his Dalmatians

John the Firefighter pulling his Dalmatians.

Friday, October 10, 2014:  Congratulations to 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai on being co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize, the youngest person in history! In one of her interviews I heard, she said we should not wait for someone else to do what is important, but we should do it ourselves. Her dad, educator Ziauddin Yousafzai asked, “Why is my daughter so strong?” He responded, “Because I didn’t clip her wings.”

Wednesday, October 1, 2014: At a workshop at Momentum, FLVS World Symposium 2014

Henry Seng and Marcia Philosophos 2014_Oct

With Marcia Philosophos

Saturday, September 20, 2014: First Birthday Celebration for Jenna and Julia

The twins teaming up to open their birthday present.

Third Week of July, 2014: Anniversary Trip

Three is not a crowd.

Three is not a crowd.

P1050907

After a long day, it is fitting to relax on the hotel bed….great item on the agenda….photo taken by John.

P1050916

The Twins love the front packs….When they need to sleep, they just sleep. We are better able to maneuver the crowd too.

P1050984

John and Julia in the Honey Pot on the Winnie the Pooh ride…we got a special tour of it in the middle of the ride.

P1060005

Mommy shooting, and Jenna guiding the ship.

P1060014

Meeting Eeyore at the Crystal Place dinner

P1060041

John joining in the Friendship Day Parade.

P1060052

Somebody is behind our three children while they are having brunch.

P1060069

The Twins taking a closer look at Minnie

P1060071

Great end to our trip

Sunday, July 13, 2014: Regency Square Mall Moment

Julia riding the front of the dolphin in the children's play area.

Julia riding the front of the dolphin in the children’s play area.

Jenna on the tail of the dolphin

Jenna on the tail of the dolphin

The Twins love to play

The Twins love to play with big brother John. One is now pulling his pants.

The other is playing with his face, and then hair.

Julia and John "riding" the Skyway Express train.

Julia and John “riding” the Skyway Express train.

Julia sees me trying a dish from a new place at the food court, called Like Mama's, and wants to sample some soul food herself.

Julia sees me trying a dish from a new place at the food court, called Like Mama’s, and wants to sample some soul food herself.

Saturday, June 28, 2014: Seng Cousins Visit the Zoo

Julia and Mommy on a train ride

Julia and Mommy on a train ride

P1050646

Cousins viewing butterflies and a fairy house at Butterfly Hollow.

P1050656

Butterfly close-up by the talented Mia

P1050663

Sian snapped a picture of us looking at wind chimes made from forks, spoons and knives.

P1050664

Sian taking a candid picture of her cousin John.

P1050684

Mia, brave and bright, caught a picture of the Komodo Dragons that John spotted.

P1050739

Julia getting a splash to cool down with her cousins.

P1050745

Jenna and Sian bonding while waiting for the train to arrive.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 – Monday, May 26, 2014: First Family Vacation with Jenna and Julia:

All three children have spots on this stroller while Mommy gets a workout. We didn't need to go to the gym after this day.

All three children have spots on this stroller while Mommy gets a workout. We didn’t need to go to the gym after this day.

John learning to mow the lawn. I'm sure this will lead to something good for Daddy. The plan is working :-)

John learning to mow the lawn. I’m sure this will lead to something good for Daddy. The plan is working 🙂

Family....few things are as sweet regardless of where we are, what we are doing.

Family….few things are as sweet regardless of where we are, what we are doing.

John surprised to see R2-D2.

John surprised to see R2-D2.

The Twins enjoying a new location. They are quite troopers on this trip. So sweet and so strong!

Breakfast for the body and soul

Breakfast for the body and soul

Tuesday, May 13, 2014: Found after 500 years, the wreck of Christopher Columbus’s flagship the Santa Maria

Sunday, April 6, 2014: We picked some apple blossoms from our backyard for Mommy today. What a beautiful day! What a beautiful and caring Mommy!

John and Apple Blossoms

Sunday, March 23, 2014: LIfe is more fun when we unite as a team.

Jenna and Julia Holding Hands

Tuesday, March 18, 2014: What an incredible story.  A man and his wife see a toddler dangling outside on the third story so they quickly got a mattress.  The man caught the toddler as the kid was falling, and land safely on the mattress.  Quick thinking! California child falling from window saved by stranger, box spring mattress

Friday, March 7, 2014: This Sunday, at 2 p.m., Daylight Saving Time starts.  Make sure to spring your clock one hour ahead.  The idea for Daylight Saving Time was originally suggested to save energy, such as the burning of coal.  But now, things have changed.  Apparently, according to this USA Today article, the reason DST is still around is because business owners like for consumers to be able to stay out, shop longer, and spend more money.  The negatives of DST is that due to losing one hour of sleep, there is a 6% increase of traffic accidents on the Monday after DST: Daylight saving brings risks with loss of sleep

Sunday, February 16, 2014: Q&A with Jenna and Julia

What's the benefit of having an identical twin sister?

What’s the benefit of having an identical twin sister?

She makes a soft and warm pillow :-)

She makes a soft and warm pillow 🙂

Wednesday, January 29, 2014: Can you believe it?  Several school districts in Florida are closed due to Snow Days yesterday and today:  Here’s what students, teachers are saying about snow days

Wednesday, January 22, 2014:  Lots of students signing up class!  That is great!  I will be calling students for the Welcome Call.  I’ve updated the announcement page of the class with an appointment scheduler in case parents and students simply want to schedule for me to call at a certain number at a particular time.

Tuesday, January 20, 2014: Happy Dr. Martin Luther King Day!

Wednesday, December 25, 2013: So glad to see my family visiting from New York, Maryland and Gainesville!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013: We’re back home now and blessed with the birth of identical twin daughters Jenna and Julia!

Monday, July 22, 2013: It’s incredible what people can do when we are united as group: Japanese passengers move 32-tonne train to rescue trapped woman

Tuesday, July 16, 2013: She ran 366 marathons in 365 days! Wow! And she did it while having multiple sclerosis! Is there another word I can use that signifies something greater than the interjection “Wow?” I’ll probably need help from wordsmiths for that.  She met her goal of 366 marathons on 7/14/2013:   Annette Fredskov – 366 marathons in 365 days

Monday, July 8, 2013:  Just incredible to view and reflect:  Astronaut’s spectacular photo of clouds over the Atlantic Ocean

Thursday, June 27, 2013: First Unlooted Royal Tomb of Its Kind Unearthed in Peru

Wednesday, June 26, 2013: Do you ever wonder how some people know so much?  Perhaps by reading books?   Ever heard the saying, Knowledge is Power?  Here’s an interesting story about books leaders read:  The Books That Inspired Tech’s Most Influential People

Tuesday, June 25, 2013: We were eating Champagne mangoes and 2-year-old John exclaimed, “Sweet like Mommy!”

Saturday, June 22, 2013: Had a relaxing family vacation:

We're standing in front of what is purported to be a 500-year-old live oak near the Atlantic Ocean. What a great spot to relax for a moment!

We’re standing in front of what is purported to be a 500-year-old live oak near the Atlantic Ocean. What a great spot to relax for a moment!

John loves being independent. One of his favorite phrases is, "Do it by myself."

John loves being independent. One of his favorite phrases is, “Do it by myself.”

Taking a stroll on Jekyll Island after dinner as the sun is setting :)

Taking a stroll on Jekyll Island after dinner as the sun is setting 🙂

Watching injured turtles get treated at the Georgia Seat Turtle Center

We got on the trolley for a tour of St. Simons Island. John enjoyed walking the length of the trolley before the other passengers got on too.

John took this picture of my hands and cargo pants, and most of our tour guide. Our guide has been giving tours for the last 10 weeks. He used to visit the area. Upon retirement, he decided to go into business with his father-in-law, moved to St. Simons Island from Utah, and now gives talks on his trolley. He used to sell computers at CDW. His trolley is called William of Orange. His shirt and the outside of his trolley are orange.

At the Neptune Park Fun Zone on St. Simons. John has never met a park he didn't like. This park was especially wonderful because it was by the Atlantic Ocean, had a water park, miniature golf course, and sold Italian ice!

At the Neptune Park Fun Zone on St. Simons….John has never met a park he didn’t like. This park was especially wonderful because it was by the Atlantic Ocean, had a water park, miniature golf course, and sold Italian ice!

Saturday, June 15, 2013: Lost medieval city found in Cambodia: A lost city and a holy temple

Sunday, June 9, 2013:  John using a fan from Magic Kingdom to cool down his hot food

2013_06_09 John Using Fan

Saturday, June 1, 2013:  Free food at the Pep Rally for Excellence sponsored by Duval County Public Schools and the City of Jacksonville2013_06_01 Pep Rally for Excellence

Tuesday, May 28, 2013: This is incredible what we can do, and how much we still have to learn about the natural world:  Moss reanimates after 400 years in DEEP FREEZE

Wednesday, May 22, 2013: Asked two-year-old John if he wanted wanted to walk to the park. “Run to the park” he responded 🙂

Tuesday, May 21, 2013: The week is not over yet, and there is another story about a teen who achieved success.  This 17-year-old was homeless, but earned a 4.466 GPA and 1900 on her SATs: Homeless Clayton County teen becomes 2013 Valedictorian

Monday, May 20, 2013:  Wow, teens are so inventive:  Teen’s prize-winning invention may charge your phone in 20 seconds

Friday, May 17, 2013:  A risk that paid off: Students scarred by war earn college degrees 

Sunday, May 12, 2013: Visiting Wild Adventures in Valdosta, Georgia on Mother’s Day

We love spending some family time traveling!

John enjoying the attention from his cousins who live in Gainesville, Florida on this trip. When he misses seeing them, he sometimes call out their names. Here, he had a fun-filled day! And they love playing with him too.

Sunday, May 12, 2013: Bill Gates wants to help 2 billion people live longer: Bill Gates 2.0

Friday, May 9, 2013: Bill Gates buy Leonardo da Vinci manuscript for $30.8 million

Friday, May 9, 2013: So this sayings may be true, “Nothing expands the mind like travelling,” Study shows that adventure shapes the individual

Tuesday, April 30, 2013: The first Web page was created in 1989, and in 1993, (European Organization for Nuclear Research) CERN announced the release of the Web to the public. Happy 20th Anniversary!  Team rebuilding world’s first website

Sunday, April 21, 2013: Happy 2,766th Birthday Rome!  When in Rome: The Eternal City takes a step back in time as it celebrates 2,766th birthday

Saturday, April 20, 2013:  Attending One Spark Crowdfunding Festival

Waiting for the Skyway at the Prime Osborn Convention Center Station

On the train heading to the Hemming Plaza Station

We get to vote on creative projects to get a percentage of the $250,000 prize. If John could vote, this project would have gotten one.

One of John’s favorite questions these days is, “What’s that?” I’m glad he didn’t ask that about this.

One group had the idea of getting more vegetables into our diet by mixing them with other food. Here, John is trying out broccoli brownie. He loves broccoli anyway. This is the second piece of the treat, and again, he ate it too quickly for me to snap the picture.

A visit to downtown Jacksonville would not be complete for John without stopping at the fountain at the Jacksonville Landing.

Sunday, April 14, 2013:  Dan Webster: Virtual school puts Florida on cutting edge of digital learning

Friday, March 22, 2013: FLVS teachers about to listen to a speech by author Annette Gordon-Reed of Harvard University about her books on Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings.  Her 2008 book, The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family won the Pulitzer Prize for History.

Thursday, March 21, 2013: Taking a tour in Richmond, Virginia, at the start of the National Council for History Education (NCHE) conference.  Here, we stopped at the Historic St. John’s Church where Patrick Henry gave his family “Give me liberty or give me death” speech on March 23, 1775, about 238 years ago.  In attendance of that speech were people such as Virginians Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.

Saturday, February 16, 2013: Ran a race this morning with fellow FLVS teachers.  It was chilly, at about 52 degrees, but being that cold actually is conducive for good running. 

Saturday, February 9, 2013:  Asked John if he wanted to walk or be carried like a king. He said “king.” Happy 2nd Birthday Big Boy. Thanks for being such a sweet son and adding another dimension to my life 🙂

Saturday, February 9, 2013:  We spent time touring St. Augustine and discussing what happened there during the civil rights era.  We ate lunch at Flagler College: 

Friday, February 8, 2013: Bill Shepard, Esq., law partner of Judge Henry Lee Adams, Jr., spoke to us.  His law firm was the first law integrated law firm in Florida, he said.  His group specializes in civil rights.  He said he wanted to help all because of the saying, “You are either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem.”

Thursday, February 7, 2013: This is Day 2 of a four-day field study coordinated by Laura Wakefield and led by Dr. Ray Arsenault from the University of South Florida.  Here’s a picture of the group in Albany, Georgia.  This was an unforgettable trip.  This journey deepens my understanding of the struggle for civil rights at a more personal level because we got to meet  people who were intimately involved in monumental events that changed the course of history.  Bravery is an understatement about these people.  They sacrificed everything for the sake of equality and fairness.

Carol Barner Seay was kept in a Lessburg Stockade for 45 days in 1963 for protesting for civil rights. She along with 32 other girls were kept in a secret location. 20-year-old student Danny Lyons sneaked in and took pictures. The pictures went all the way to NJ Sen. Harrison Williams, who investigated and got the girls released.  Seay was 13 went she was sent into the stockade, and came out when she was 14.  The girls who were sent there were between the ages of 12-16.  They were transported to the stockades all night and had no idea where they were.   Seay said she didn’t talk about this event for over 30 years, and only recently had gotten comfortable enough to confront the ordeal.  Glad I got to eat dinner with her.

Rev. Charles Sherrod recalls his efforts in 1963 as the organizer of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in Albany, Georgia. He believed in racial integration, and recruited black and white members to get voters registered in the 1960s. He also tried to get Albany integrated. Initially it was not successful. He said he still considered it a success because it allowed the civil rights movement to learn what not to do.

Monday, January 28, 2013:  Wow, color photos from the early 1900s: Extremely Rare Color Photography of Early 1900s Paris

Sunday, January 20, 2013: Workaholic John is eager to help out as we get ready to return home.

Saturday, January 19, 2013: Wide-eyed John sees a character from one of his favorite bedtime books, Cat in the Hat.

Thursday, January 17, 2013:  Interesting article on how technology in food changed society: How Forks Gave Us Overbites and Pots Saved the Toothless

Friday, January 11, 2013: This women from the ancient Incan tribe becomes a U.S. citizen at the age of 100:  U.S. citizenship ‘dream come true’ for 100-year-old Peru native

Sunday, January 6, 2013:  John wants to see the toy soldier light up one last time before we pack up all the Christmas decorations.

Monday, December 17, 2012: John’s Christmas tree is on the left.

Saturday, November 4, 2012:  John and his cousins took a hike on Native Heart Island.  Look at how tall some of their walking sticks are.     

Wednesday, October 31, 2012: Which book/movie do you think our characters are from? (Update: Congratulations to Taylor A. for emailing me the correct answer!)

Tuesday, October 30, 2012: The prediction on how devastating Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy was going to be was correct.  So far, 67 dead in the Caribbean, and 26 in the U.S. after it made landfall last night in southern New Jersey.  The storm is slow moving, so more casualties are expected: Sandy’s trail of devastation: 26 dead, millions without power — and it’s not over

Monday, October 29, 2012: World War II bombs still being found:  WWII bomb find closes Japan’s Sendai airport

Tuesday, October 16, 2012: John’s morning chore: taking out the trash

Sunday, October 14, 2012: We visited the pumpkin patch today.  Which pumpkin do you think John will pick?

This gigantic one?

The smooth one?

How about a break on the haystacks to think about it?

So many to choose from!

I pick this one to take home!

Cat in the Hat! Did you know I can ask for a Dr. Seuss book to be read at home by saying “Seuss?”

Thursday, October 11, 2012: The Nobel Peace Prize will be announced tomorrow.  I wonder who the recipient will be?  http://www.nobelprize.org/

Sunday, September 9, 2012: John sitting in a desk.

1.5 year-old John trying out a desk

Saturday, September 8, 2012: Ran 10 miles this morning.  Exhausted, but happy.

Saturday, September 1, 2012:  John’s cousins live in Gainesville.  Here, they’re showing John their soccer field that they play on.

John’s visiting his cousins in Gainesville

John racing his cousins on the soccer field

Tuesday, August 29, 2012:  “Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children.” -Walt Disney on education

Saturday, August 25, 2012: One of America’s hero has passed at the age of 82.  He was the first man to walk on the moon:  http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/armstrong_obit.html

Tuesday, August 21, 2012: ‎”You know you’re working class when your TV is bigger than your book case.” -Rob Beckett (this line was the 4th best joke of the year at a festival in Edinburgh)

Monday, August 20, 2012: Alexandria 2.0: One Millionaire’s Quest to Build the Biggest Library on Earth: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/08/brewster-kahle/

Saturday, August 18, 2012: This guy just swam for seven hours without arms or legs:  Limbless Frenchman Philippe Croizon hits swim landmark: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18100850

Thursday, August 16, 2012: The 2012 Summer Olympics in London may be over, but in just four short years, we’ll welcome the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.  It will be the first one in South America!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012: Wow, this daughter is pretty strong and brave lifting a car that weighs over a ton that pinned her dad: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/01/us/virginia-daughter-saves-dad/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Monday, July 23, 2012: I’m back in the office after a vacation.  Here are some pictures from this trip.

John loved moving about in the National Museum of Natural History.

Visiting the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial for the first time.

I discovered a nectar known as the strawberry milkshake while attending summer camp in central New York. Apparently, John likes it too, at Denny’s in Best Western Kings Quarters.

Charlie Brown has good tastes in hats…at Kings Dominion.

John won a stuffed turtle with the $3.

Workaholic John perhaps trying to turn the page for President James Madison at Montpelier. According to our tour guide, Madison read 400 books and looked at different governmental systems of over two thousand years of history to come up with the framework of the U.S. Constitution. He did this over one winter. He could read in six languages. He had been the first graduate student at Princeton University. His professor was John Witherspoon, the president of the university. Witherspoon was a leader of the Scottish Enlightenment movement, believing that a society could be govern by reason, not absolute rulers.

New discoveries are still being made on the grounds of Madison’s home. Here, these researchers found old building nails and some bone fragments.

Next, we traveled 45 minutes by car or eight hours in Madison’s time, to his best friend’s estate, Monticello, belonging to Thomas Jefferson. The tour guide said Madison and Jefferson had developed coded writings that only those two could understand because letters were always opened before they made it to their recipients in those days. Jefferson was known for trying to improve everything. For example, in his bedroom, his bed is connected to his bedroom and his office… Here, there is a pond by the house to keep fish alive until dinner time.

John buckling his stroller’s belt in front of Jefferson’s home.

Jefferson’s tombstone

Thursday, July 12, 2012: Earliest Americans Arrived in Waves, DNA Study Finds: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/12/science/earliest-americans-arrived-in-3-waves-not-1-dna-study-finds.html?_r=1

Tuesday, July 10, 2012:  John visiting the dentist. Everything went well.

Sunday, July 8, 2012: Making sure John is only using one finger to touch the possum as directed by the ranger. We want to make sure the possum is happy at the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012: Happy Fourth of July! This is a day to remember the founding of this nation. Below you will see pictures I took of where one of the founders of this nation, George Washington, was buried. It is at Mount Vernon. I took these pictures in 2010 during a visit there:

Thursday, June 28, 2012: The oldest known samples of pottery have been unearthed in southern China: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18602281

Sunday, June 24, 2012: New theory on why Stonehenge was built, “Stonehenge marks Britain’s unification:” http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/Europe/Stonehenge-marks-Britain-s-unification/Article1-878324.aspx

Friday, June 22, 2012: We live near a university, and it has a farm that we visited.  On this day, we saw that corn was growing very well.

Sunday, June 17, 2012: On Father’s Day, we spent a portion of the day doing one of our favorite activities, hiking!

Tuesday, June 12, 2012:  “Obstacles are the things a person sees when he takes his eyes off of his goal.”  -E. Joseph Cossman

Saturday, June 9, 2012: We went to Gainesville where my brother lives, and celebrated Father’s Day for my dad early.  One of the dish was several fish caught in Florida’s springs steamed on ginger.  The noodles were also delicious!  We spent portions of the day watching home videos.  The tradition in my family is that my brother handles Father’s Day for our dad, and I handle Mother’s Day for our mom.

Friday, June 8, 2012: I went for an early morning run of 3.1 miles or 5K this morning.  The best time to run in Florida is early in the morning before the hot sun starts beaming down.  The grass was all soggy from the rain yesterday and last night.  Running is a great workout.

Saturday, June 2, 2012: Took John and let him ride the jogging stroller while I pushed him.  We went a total of 3.1 miles or 5K.  Halfway there is a city park, and he got out of the stroller to ride the swing, etc…  He loves the park.  John is an outdoor type of one-year-old, so he enjoys every moment outside.  Now that the windy conditions of Tropical Storm Beryl is over, we can enjoy the Florida sunshine once again.

Friday, June 1, 2012: Tropical Storm Beryl hit earlier this week, and fortunately, there was no massive damage in my city.  There were power outages of about 30,000 homes, but no report of injuries.  The positive is that the trees and grasses got lots of rain.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012: Steve Jobs passed away on October 5, 2011, but every now and then, it is great to listen to some of his advice that he gave in a commencement speech to Stanford University, especially during this season when seniors are graduating from school. He said, “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’ life… Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” Here is a link from Stanford which include the text and video: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Thursday, May 17, 2012:  What a guy!  This limbless man just swam 12 miles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18100850

Sunday, May 13, 2012:  For Mother’s Day, we went to Jekyll Island.  We took a tour of the island and got to go into two historic homes, Moss and Indian Mound Cottages.  Here, Amanda and our one-year-old son, John, are playing at a fountain.  John loves to play with water, seeing, hearing and feeling how it splashes against his fingers, etc… After this picture was snapped, he proceeded to put his feet into the fountain in an attempt to swim 🙂

Monday, May 7, 2012:

“Dreams are free, so free your dreams.” -Astrid Alauda

“The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation.” -Bertrand Russell

Saturday, May 5, 2012:  My son, his cousins, along with others, visited Fort Caroline National Memorial to for the 450th anniversary of the landing of Capt. John Ribault in Jacksonville.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012:  I was part of a presentation on the landing of Jean Ribault in Jacksonville in 1652.  I interviewed ranger Craig Morris.  Here, he talked about Fort Caroline: Fort Caroline Today

Here, he discussed  Life as a Ranger at a National Park

Monday, April 30, 2012:

“You will either step forward into growth, or you will step backward into safety.” -Abraham Maslow

“To do anything of magnitude takes at least five years, more likely seven or eight. Rightfully or wrongfully, that’s how I think.” -Steve Jobs

Monday, April 23, 2012:

“Only the educated are free.” -Epictetus

“If the road is easy, you’re likely going the wrong way.” -Terry Goodkind

Monday, April 16, 2012:

“It takes a lot of courage to show your dream to someone else.” -Erma Bombeck

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, March 25, 2012: We visited the Old Exchange and Provost Dungeon. It was built between 1768-1771 by the British to collect taxes. In 1774, the colonists used it to select delegates to the First Continental Congress. In 1791, President George Washington visited.

Inside, the Old Exchange, John puts his John Hancock on a copy of the Declaration of Independence.

We walked over to the Joseph Manigault House, which was completed in 1803. While waiting for the tour to start, John was admiring one of the outside structures.

John walking around inside the Charleston Museum.

Saturday, March 24, 2012: We visited the Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry in Charleston, South Carolina, and in one section, they devoted to medieval times.  John got to touch one of the little knights guarding the place.

Friday, March 23, 2012: We are inside Fort Sumter and John loves to walk and visit one cannon after another….It was on April 12, 1861, when the Confederate artillery attacked Fort Sumter that the Civil War officially started. After 34 hours of bombardment, Maj. Robert Anderson of the Union surrendered the fort.

John looking at the bald eagle at the South Carolina Aquarium in Charleston, SC.

Monday, March 19, 2012: We were on vacation, and took John to Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park.  Here, he’s at a dinosaur dig, excavating for dinosaur bones.

We see ducks in our backyards where we live every now and then, but to see this duck, we had to go to a theme park:

Friday, March 9, 2012: We took our one-year-old son, John, to the local park.  One of his favorite activities is to slide: John Sliding Video

Thursday, March 8, 2012: I attended a meeting with Jake C., Shauna L., and Laura W. to discuss our roles in commemorating the 450th anniversary of the arrival of French Capt. Jean Ribault to Jacksonville, AKA “The First Coast” in May of 1562.  Ribault placed a stone column by the St. Johns river, which he called the “River May” to claim the land for France.  French Huguenots settled there.  In 1564, Fort Caroline, named for King Charles IX of France, was established by Commander Rene de Laudonniere with 300 colonists. We will have an online presentation scheduled for 5/2/2012 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and we will repeat on 5/2/2012 from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.  Stay tuned!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012: Happy Leap Year!  As you know, February usually has 28 days, but every four years, there is an extra day.  This morning, I took my car to the shop to get a replacement oil pan, which would take a while.  So instead of asking someone to drive me to my office, I simply ran there.  It was about three miles away.  I like to run in the morning anyway so I thought this would be a great opportunity to run.  My goal is to run at least one marathon per year.

Sunday, February 12, 2012: We had a birthday for John at home, who turned one in February.  On this day, we decided to celebrate his birthday again, and took him to Chuck E. Cheese’s where he gave Chuck a ride.  John loves cars and pretty much anything with steering wheels.

Thursday, February 9, 2012:  We took a tour of Ybor City in Tampa, and went into Jose Marti Park, which is owned by Cuba!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012:  I attended a TAH/Florida Humanities Council field study.  Here’s a picture of us at the John and Mable Ringling Museum of the Art in Sarasota: